My American Voice

I personally need to work on when I speak up. I tend to always speak up, even when it's inappropriate to do so. I know when I shouldn't but when something comes to my head it comes out of my mouth.
 Speaking up is a responsibility we all have especially when it comes to protecting others who are afraid to protect themselves. If someone is being bullied it is a moral duty to speak up and defend the person who is being bullied. Wouldn't you want someone to do that for you?
In my opinion I think you should speak up in any situation that goes against your values. You don't have to be rude or even try to debate. You just have to let it be known there is another opinion and you'd like it to be taken into consideration. Sometimes people just need to hear things from a different perspective. They don't necessarily need to argue they just need another view, and by stating your opinion they are given that chance.
Although I'm all for speaking up, there are definitely sometimes when speaking up is not okay. You shouldn't speak up when it isn't your place. When others are having a conversation that doesn't involve you, your opinion or you speaking up is wrong. Also you shouldn't speak up when others are only trying to help you. If someone has nothing but good intentions you shouldn't speak up. Take in their advice and go on about your day. Other than that I say, heck yeah speak up. Use your voice; you have it for a reason. Be bold and put that voice to work. Make a change, do something great.

Comments